Friday, March 03, 2006

walt whitman




i feel so spoken to, by something, something myterious and great, out of the mouth and fingertips of another man. how odd, how invigorating. how uncle walt! here are a few quotes he wouldn't mind me sharing.



"I celebrate myself, and what I assume you shall assume, For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you. I loafe and invite my soul, I lean and loafe at my ease... observing a spear of summer grass."

"I say to mankind, Be not curious about God. For I, who am curious about each, am not curious about God - I hear and behold God in every object, yet understand God not in the least."

"Let that which stood in front go behind, let that which was behind advance to the front, let bigots, fools, unclean persons, offer new propositions, let the old propositions be postponed."

"Nothing can happen more beautiful than death."

"Re-examine all that you have been told... dismiss that which insults your soul."

"You must not know too much or be too precise or scientific about birds and trees and flowers and watercraft; a certain free-margin, and even vagueness - ignorance, credulity - helps your enjoyment of these things."

1 comment:

Trev Diesel said...

Man, look at all these blog posts! I've got some catch-up reading to do!