Thursday, February 10, 2005

instant coffee, instant tea....instant peace?

there are so many instant satisfactions to desires in the world. instant drinks, instant meals, instant loans, instant sex (just dial and they show up if you have the cash), music-on-demand, the list is endless.

what about instant peace? i desire that more than anything. i don't need an electric cheese slicer; hell, i don't even want one. what i do want is be close to God. in an instant, i need to feel unconditional love flow through my soul, dripping down over my brain like alka-seltzer's bubbles or pepto bismol for the mind, and then out to my fingertips so i can uncurl my fist, into my lungs so i can take in a deep calming breath and let it out, and oozing out around my tongue so that by the time i speak, only words of peace and love can be uttered.

so, another "for instance", which seem to be prevalent in most of my later blogs: living in this country, i'm surrounded by (and even express on my own at times) great acts of selfishness. when money, personal gain, ladder-climbing, greed, and revenge are the cornerstones of one's life, those "qualities" are evident in one's life. when i am confronted by some form or another of this type of action, like someone letting a door slam in my face, or watching someone ridicule another person, or witnessing someone cutting me off on the highway, i pretty much get pissed first. not my desire. more importantly, though, is that almost immediately, i'm overcome with a sense of needing to love that person.

"forgive them, Father, for they know not what they do." to me, that's more than appropriate for about three thousand two hundred sixty four moments a day in my life. it isn't that this person who's done some act of non-love always digs it and always does it on purpose; in most cases, i would imagine they don't even realize there's a better way to live. so, my purpose in this life is to show unconditional love and spread peace as much as i can; otherwise, i'm not being the soil that the seeds of God's love need to live.

1 comment:

peacefield said...

after i posted this, i read trev's comment on my previous post and found great similarities in his words to what i was trying to get out in this entry.

thanks for that, trevor - my point exactly.

"calmer 'n you are." ;)